The UN Information Centre in Accra, Ghana, is among a network of field offices linking the UN Department of Global Communications Headquarters in New York to Member States. The Centre was transferred to Accra in March 1958 from Monrovia, Liberia, at one time covering all countries in the West African sub-region. Presently, it serves Ghana.
- The Centre promotes an informed understanding of the work and purposes of the United Nations among peoples of its jurisdiction, including national partners such as Ministries, Parliament, organisations, UN Associations, media, NGOs, relevant agencies and the public.
- Assists the print and electronic media in providing news about the United Nations in many forms
- Arranges press conferences, briefings, panel discussions and symposia on issues on the UN agenda
- Participates in radio and TV programmes on UN issues
- The Centre responds to requests from NGOs, UN Associations and educational institutions for speakers on the activities of the United Nations and UN publications
- It organizes activities in collaboration with relevant Ministries, Departments, Agencies, UN Associations and NGOs to mark UN observances like UN Day, World Press Freedom Day, International Women’s Day, International Day of UN Peacekeepers, etc.
- The Centre promotes teaching about the United Nations through outreach program in schools and other institutions.
- Promoting the presence of the UN system in Ghana
- Working with organizations and local groups and seeking financial and other assistance to further understanding about the United Nations
- Answering public inquiries
- Monitoring public perception of the United Nations in the country as expressed by policy makers, the academic community, Parliamentarians, the media, UN Associations, NGOs, etc.
- Providing communication services to the Secretary-General and other visiting UN officials
The UN Resident Co-ordinator is the UNIC-Accra Director. The National Information Officer is Ms. Cynthia Prah.
UNIC-Accra is located within the premises of the FAO Regional Office for Africa at the Junction of the Gamel Abdul Nasser/Liberia Roads by the Accra Ridge Church or around the Afua Sutherland Children’s Park.